Olibanum (Boswellia frereana)


SKU: N/A Category:


Olibanum is similar to Frankincense and has a pleasant, sweet and woody odour.

Boswellia frereana is a species of plant native to Somaliland where the locals call it “Dhidin” or “Maydi” (other spellings include: Meydi, Meyti, Maidi, Maieti, and Mayeti) or the king of all frankincense. It is also known as the Yigaar (or Yegaar) tree and by the common name for all frankincense, Luban.

Other than its aromatic uses, the locals also use it for medicinal purposes; they make it into a paste called “malmal” and apply it on the joints to treat inflammation and arthritis.

In the West B. frereana is called “Coptic Frankincense” as this is the type and grade used by the Coptic Church of Egypt. 80% of B. frereana production is sold to Saudi Arabia where it is traditionally brought home by Muslim pilgrims. The remaining 20% is sold all around the world.

Additional information


10gms, 25gms, 50gms, 100gms, 250gms, 500gms, 1kg

Important Notes: Information on the traditional uses and properties of herbs and essential oils are provided on this site for historical and educational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. If you have any serious health concerns, you should always check with your health care practitioner before self-administering herbs or essential oils.

We supply all of the raw ingredients you need to make your own herbal teas, blends, incenses, etc. They are not packaged with instructions. By selling them in this simple format we can provide them to you at the best possible price. Please reference this page for any instructions. If in doubt, feel free to Contact Us.

All prices are in Australian Dollars and inclusive of GST.

We accept these Payments PayPal PayPal Credit Visa Mastercard American Express Discover JCB Direct Deposit Cheque

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop